On-Rev and Daylight Savings Time (Addendum)

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 00:05:42 EDT 2009

Caution:
You can change the time that Rev (or any program) gets on your
computer by simply setting your computer clock to anything you like.
The same thing can happen on any computer or server.  Just ask a large
company that has servers in different cities and countries.

The key to iRev servers is that they are probably extremely stable and
constantly updated to one of the atomic clock sites.
One issue of daylight savings (especially in the state of Indiana) is
that some counties will change their clocks and others will not.

Another issue is that the last daylight savings change in the Spring
was done one week later in the UK than in the US.  The result was two
time changes 7 days apart.

A computer program running on a processor can have functions that ask
the processor for date and time info, but daylight savings changes are
external to the processor.
If you write a function that gets the seconds at midnight each day,
then see if it is 24.0 hours after the previous midnight, you know the
processor has not changed the time zone or time shift in its control
panel settings.

If you have a local processor and one at iRev, you need to track this
for each processor and maintain the correct offset ( +1, -1, 0 ).  You
might want to study GMT options and use one of those.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault