Interesting blog post - comments anyone?

Randall Lee Reetz randall at randallreetz.com
Mon Nov 30 20:53:03 EST 2009

Why the threatened continence?  Why the need to frame this
conversation as having anything to do with a question of the
viability of RunRev?

This thread started with a call to debate a journalist who asked some
questions about the veracity of some rather strident marketing
statements made by Revolution about its product.  This call came from
the runrev customer service manager, which I find slimy. However,
both the comments made by the journalist/blogger and the marketing
claims he referenced, surrounded the much more general merit of macro
languages and user-programming environments that seek to automate
much of the busywork code-minutia necessary in "professional"
languages.  This is not a rev specific issue as it is shared equally
by all xtalk languages.  So much of what Revolution claims as unique
are in fact inherited (for free!) from hypercard and smalltalk, apple
and xerox PARC.

The fact so many on this list continue to treat runrev as some sickly
child that needs to be protected is really ill-advised as public
relations.  Nor is this attitude based in reality.  RunRev is in good
standing.  Has a decent customer base.  Actions based in paranoia do
more harm than good.  The product is fine.  The category is fine.
Acting like hyenas just makes the product look like it is about to
fall down and die.  The very notion that a criticism of hyper-
protective and overdrive spin mastering is akin to critism of the
product is a great example of the paranoia of which I speak.  It is
ugly and it results in ugly public relations acts.

The notion that runrev will somehow suffer if it acknowledges its
stellar ancestry... even more absurd.  Both Alan Kay and Bill
Aktinson are canonized and deservingly so.  They were visionaries far
ahead of their peers.  Want more, who also influenced the emergence
of hypercard and hypertalk?  How about Douglas Engelbart and Theodore
(Ted) Nelson.

RunRev's own separate lineage began with MetaCard and is
distinguished by its insistence on multi-platform development and
deployment.  With the advent of a web player, runrev has done what
only one other xtalk environment has done.  And all of this deployed
by the largest and most stable of the xtalk commercialization
groups... these are the attributes runrev alone can claim.  The rest
of its history is merged with all other xtalk histories and should be
acknowledged as such.

We in the U.S. tend to envy the British for their innate tendency
towards a particularly handsome form of understated but strong form
of humility.  The complex and influential heritage of both Britain
and RunRev product are certainly deserving of the deep confidence
from which I always assumed this humility arose.

Randall Reetz