Revlet caching (was...Safari caches revlet)

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Fri Nov 27 13:52:40 EST 2009

I've tried using this code in my static html revlet launch page, but I'm
not convinced it is causing the revlet to be reloaded each time changes
are made:

<head>
<META Http-Equiv="Cache-Control" Content="no-cache">
<META Http-Equiv="Pragma" Content="no-cache">
<META Http-Equiv="Expires" Content="0">
</head>

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Richard Miller

Brian Yennie wrote:
> One common technique if you want to force a new version to be loaded
> is to use a "cache busting" URL to the Revlet in your HTML. Just add a
> query string to the end, and change it to reflect a new version.
>
> myrevlet.rev ===> myrevlet.rev?v=1.0 ===> myrevlet.rev?v=2.0 ====> etc.
>
> From then on, whenever you update the Revlet, just change the query
> string on the end. New URL = fresh copy.
>
> Of course, keep in mind that if your Revlet is hosted on a static
> page, you've just pushed the caching issue up the ladder one rung.
> Thus it will need to be on a dynamic page which could be accomplished
> with OnRev hosting or really any other scripting solution (PHP, Perl,
> client-side Javascript, etc).
>
> Another variation would be to append a fine-grained time stamp -- thus
> causing a reload every time. There are also a multitude of ways to do
> this using HTTP headers, but I find the URL tricks a lot easier to
> control.
>
>> Anyone know of a way to force Safari to reload a revlet other than
>> emptying the cache?
>> When I upload a new version of a revlet, Firefox dutifully loads the
>> new version, but Safari insists on using a cached version.
>>
>> Thanks,

subscription preferences: