raw printing to gdi printer?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 02:59:53 EST 2009

Problem is, as usual with host based printers, no drivers, or no usable
drivers for Mac or Unix.

However all that needs to be printed in this case is strings of ascii
characters, no formatting at all is needed and font is not important,
whatever the shell uses as default will be just fine.

So I am thinking, get the material into a text file with line feeds, and
then do something like:

	lpr -l  file.txt              .....or maybe
	lp -o raw file.txt

or maybe set up the printer in CUPS with no PPD, which is supposed to make
it a raw printer.

These are suggestions from googling, and I will try them and probably more,
but if anyone has done it either like this, like this with tweaks, or in
some other way, either with OSX or one of the Unices, would be grateful.

Peter