bad xml files for rev 4.0

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Tue Nov 24 14:22:31 EST 2009

Hi Francois (sorry can't find the cecile)

Thank you for the list of affected entries, tho I really wish you'd
give me more then 2 Hours to respond to you directly, before you go
"public" with BvG Docu bugs :P

---

Short version:

RunRev has made errors when they created some of the XML files. I have
filed relevant bug reports. I have uploaded a version that works. It
replaces the faulty entries with those from 3.5 (stored in custom
properties), but only if the version is 4.0:

http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/bvg_docu1.5.rev

---
---

Long Version:

The problem here is, RunRev did butcher the xml files _again_ (kinda
seems like they aim to do that with every release...). They didn't
find this out themselves, because they have long ago given up on using
'proper' xml. Basically they use the fault-ignoring version of the
revCreateXMLTree command. BvG Docu however does not, and therefore
fails at parsing their malformed xml. See their line vs. my line:

put revCreateXMLTree(tData,false, true, false) into tTree -- theirs
put revcreatexmltree(theXML,true,true,false) into theID --mine

Really fixing that particular problem is not easy. A quick workaround
is to set the relevant line in BvG Docu to accept false xml too, or
write your own parser that looks for false chars in the content of the
tags before passing it on to the xml function (nontrivial and slow).
Another workaround is to copy the relevant files from a 3.5 version
export into your 4.0 folder, thereby replacing the faulty files. I
have chosen to include the correct versions of 3.5 as properties, and
include those instead of the faulty ones that come with 4.0.

Problematic entries are those that link to "<", ">", "&" or
"<>" (etc.) in their "see also" part, because RunRev didn't encode
these, which understandably confuses every xml parser that expects
proper xml. In addition, all appearance of these chars in the
descriptions have been erroneously removed.

Finally, there's a problem with illegal nesting in the entry for
"cancel".

---

For the same information, see bugs 8462, 8463 and 8464.

Wishing for RunRev to create proper xml
Bjoernke

--

official ChatRev page: