WAV without QT

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Nov 23 20:42:16 EST 2009

Recently, Jim Bufalini wrote:

>> That MIGHT work, but the client would prefer an
>> out-of-the-box-with-nothing-else-required-for-the-user-to-do solution.
>
> WAV stands for "Windows" Audio, so by default, Windows Media Player is
> configured to play WAV files. If it's not, it means they already messed
> around and installed some other player on the machine which "stole" the WAV
> format and assigned it to itself and then they deleted the player and so now
> there is no player associated with WAV.

Actually, I don't believe this is the case.  My version of Windows Media
Player on Vista (which says is version 11.x) is fine playing WAV files, but
with dontUseQT enabled in Rev, a player whose filename is set to an external
WAV file refuses to play (error: could not open video player).  This is on a
machine that does have QT installed, but I believe the behavior is the same
on machines without QT: even though WAVs might play directly from WMP, they
don't in Rev.  I was quite surprised to discover this and just goes to show
how desperately in need of updating are Rev's audio facilities.

As far as Richard's question goes, the only way I know of to play a WAV file
reliably on Windows without QT is to import the WAV into Rev as an
audioClip.  But then I don't believe you can control the start/stop time or
similar properties.

I can't think of a workaround to the problem other than to control an
external playback mechanism using sockets, COM, MCI, or whatever facilities
are available for the player.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director