knowing if a printer is connected

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 11:32:17 EST 2009

This worked for me on my home printer, and I had high hopes for it,
but if fails this morning here at work. The problem seems to be that
with some printers the listing from the ioreg call has little relation
to the name of the printer. For instance, my Brother laserjet MFC 8220
(combo printer fax copier) has an ioreg listing of:

+-o IOUSBCompositeDevice at fd100000  <class IOUSBDevice, registered,
matched, active, busy 0, retain 12>

and there is no way of telling that this is a Brother 8220 or relating
it to the availablePrinters, not on the face of it, anyway.

I'm working on a solution that will involve storing the ioreg name of
a given printer as a customprop "ioregListing[printerName]" More to
come. I'm determined to make this work as invisibly as possible. It
has long been a irritation for me that the system doesn't
automatically just send print jobs to the available printer. There's
no reason on earth why you should have to change printers manually
(after the first time you use one, of course). The system knows what's
plugged in, for goodness sake. [grrrr...]

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig