Looking for a defined path to learn Rev (for new users)

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Fri Nov 20 01:11:11 EST 2009

Hi Jim,

> If you spoke with him for 30-minutes yesterday, then you probably have not
> missed anything and I am the one who misunderstood his post. ;-)

--Well, to clarify, it was a text-based chat as opposed to a phone-based
one, so I might well have missed something! :-)

> None the less, and in light of what is now my obvious misunderstanding
> aside, it did cause me to think of when I first started with Rev and as I
> said in my post:
>
> "... But you raise an interesting point... assuming there are programmers
> who know how to program in other more traditional programming languages...
> you need to focus on the lay of the land first... this applies to not just
> your fellow teachers, but all those we expect to embrace revlets and
> revTalk..."

--That's why I thought it was neat that Mark Wieder did his little VB <-->
Rev cheat-sheet in the new screensteps lessons.

> I stand by this, even if it wasn't what Alejandro was asking. And in writing
> my "misguided" response, it made me realize that this is probably the single
> most barrier to mass adoption of revlets by programmers of other languages.
> However, it is certainly not an insurmountable barrier, and in fact, a very
> addressable one.

--Indeed.  We need more cheat-sheets for those folks!

> As to teaching kids, you'll have to speak to my wife who is a "certified" K
> through 12 and special needs school teacher. ;-) She was previously, for 18
> years, a Systems Engineer with IBM in charge of Education Systems and
> installing computers in the classroom here.

--Nice!

Best,

Judy