Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Nov 17 10:33:15 EST 2009

Bill Marriott wrote:

> The Order Now button directs to to the "Early" software assurance package
> page for your edition of Rev.

How many people looking for "upgrade" will think of "assurance"?

When I think of "assurance" I think of the Crimson Permanent Assurance
Company. ;)
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX61PUZ3xkI>

I had a client confused by this recently, and when I upgraded
("assured"?) my own license a couple weeks ago I experienced the same
uncertainty.

People are accustomed to paying for software upgrades (point releases),
with the occasional free update (point-point releases).  Some specialty
software is sold by subscription, in which a fee is required annually.

RunRev's pricing is a unique mix somewhere between the two, and while I
assume there are good reasons for this unusual pricing structure and I
wouldn't advocate changing it, if unique nomenclature is used it may be
helpful to translate RunRev's terms into industry-common-speak.

Perhaps "Early Software Assurance Pack" could be renamed "Early Upgrade
Assurance Pack" for clarity.

And FWIW, the front page of the Store section doesn't show upgrades at
all; only when you click to buy what is marked as a full license do you
find the "assurance" (upgrade) option.

If the pricing is working well for RunRev don't change it; the prices
are quite reasonable once they're understood.

Just a little honing of the terminology and layout in the store would
make it a bit easier for folks to give RunRev money.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World