RevWeb oddities

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 17 05:32:03 EST 2009

I just decided to see what the fuss was about, and built a simple
stack for web using 4.0.  I installed the plugin a couple of days
back, so I think it must be up to date (how do you tell?)

My first reaction was utter amazement that such a thing is possible.
It reminded me of first seeing Carlie Chaplin eating a shoe in
Quicktime (circa 1992?) - or the first time I built a standalone for
Windows using Metacard.  Astonishing!

Anyway, once my jaw had closed, I played around with the stack, which
is simply a rating scale which allows users to move images up and
down it to indicate relative preference.  They click on the scale,
and the currently selected object slides gracefully up or down.

Or at least that's what happens in desktop versions, and in Safari.
In Firefox (3.5.5) there are a few glitches:

1/  If I am online, I get a "waiting for Runrev.com" message on
launch for maybe a couple of seconds, then a plugin progress bar,
then the first card.  Don't see any of that in Safari.

2/  Perhaps 30% of object moves freeze part way through.  Eventually
the beach-ball appears, and Firefox is unresponsive for anything up
to 45 seconds.  Activity monitor reports FF as not responding, and
then it all suddenly comes back, and the object appears at its
destination.  Nothing happens to CPU levels during lock up.  As far
as I can establish the problem only occurs if a change of object to
be moved has occurred, and then only about %30ish of the time. Moving
the same object many times does not ever seem to trigger the problem.

3/  On Safari I also have the unresponsive until window moved problem
reported elsewhere, and also discovered that while the revlet is
running, Cmd-Q doesn't seem to work.  Don't know whether that has
been found elsewhere.

I don't really have a sense whether I should be trying to find
workarounds to the above, or whether they are glitches to be
expected.  Makes me realise that I had learned more about desktop OSs
than I was aware of, because having avoided webby stuff for years, I
haven't really got a clue as to where to start  :-(

David Glasgow