First test for Infinite Zoom

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:50:39 EST 2009

Hi Tom,

Thomas McGrath III-3 wrote:

> That zip works. I also downloaded the images.
> A problem I had was the naming of the images messed with the flow of
> the zoom quilt. I changed the single digits to double digits (i.e. 1
> to 01) then it works great.
> A little bit of lag when trying to automate the process. the time i
> t takes to load is choppy. But it works great.
> Could be optimized a bit.

Thanks a lot for confirming that latest uploads works
as expected. I had to test better the actual capabilities
of free hosting in 000space.

You are right about naming the images using two digits.
I forgot about this, while writing the text in the stack.
By the way, there are two images in this group created
for the ZoomQuilt proyect, that are 1022 pixel wide,
not 1024 pixels as the rest of images.

I Noticed too some lags in certain points of the zoom process
and increased memory usage (almost 300 MB). These are the
most baffling problems that i found. Probably, it's not necessary
to load all 46 images while initializing the card with the zoom effect.

A particular task that gave me a lot of problem, was scaling all
images covering the gaps between them. Still, looking for a logical
explanation of why i had to made the images 2 pixels wider and taller
every other scaling step.

Originally, i planned to include zoom in and zoom out, using the
left and right mouse button, but changing from one to another
produced a mess in the sizes of images.

Ideally, scaling of images should be driven by the mousewheel
or the keyboard arrow keys.

Could you imagine the versatility of this effect if we could move smoothly,
not only in and out but to the sides of the pictures, almost like a QTVR
panorama?
When completed, this will be great! :D

Alejandro