Wake up Revolution

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 15 14:34:19 EST 2009

Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Who says that tousand people experience great performance?! I, for
> one, don't.

I haven't seen your RQCC report on this.  What's the #?

After reading the messages here, in the forum, and other venues, yours
and Inselfan's posts are the first I've come across during the long
preview cycle which report that there's something wrong with v4's
performance.

Now that we have a second data point reflecting similar results we can
modify the analysis of the problem, but the basic principle remains the
same:  identify the differences between the working and non-working states.

> I am pretty sure that Inselfan did something that should just work in
> Revolution without problems and figuring out the source of the problem
> is a process that one should not have to go through with a development
> environment like Revolution in the first place!

I wholeheartedly agree, and share the desire for an ideal world in which
everything always works perfectly.

But in our imperfect world all processes have a failure rate, and the
software development process is no exception.

If the good folks at RunRev are aware of this issue I doubt they
consider it acceptable, and are likely working on it I write this.

But if they're not yet aware of it they may require some assistance to
be able to replicate it.  That's where we come in:  when we see a
problem, we try arrive at a recipe for reproducing it and report it to
the RQCC.

Colin's suggestion seems useful for doing so:

> The best test would be to get that stack onto other people's machines,
> and have them run it in 2.9 and 4.0, and see if the same issue happens.
> At the same time Inselfan should try further testing of 4.0, with other
> stacks. If those other stacks all work perfectly, then that helps narrow
> the problem down to something in that particular stack triggering the issue.

Jacque's comments honed this analysis even further:

> Try choosing "suspend development environment" from the Tools menu and
> then run your script. If that works, then check the plugins carefully,
> particularly any third-party plugins you might have installed. If that
> does not work, it means a handler in your stack somewhere is running
> without releasing time to the CPU.
>
> If you would like to send me your stack off-list, I will look at it.

I would be interested in learning what you find, Jacque.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World