openstack or preopenstack confusing to new application builders

william humphrey bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Sun Nov 8 16:33:22 EST 2009

I am posting this just for other newbies out there who may find this
confusing. If you have a mainstack and lots of substacks and you put either
a preopenstack or an openstack in the mainstack you would think that it
would only be called when you first open your stack. Not true. It is called
every time you switch to any of the other substacks of your main stack. I
have solved this by using GLX framework and the special on
glxapp_initializeApplication
which does what I thought pre-openstack should do. It runs just once when
you first open your stack (or application) and then it is never called
again. I have no idea how to do this with RunRev normally. For example when
I initialize my database I've found that it is a bad idea to do it in either
peropenstack or openstack as it gets called again and again when you switch
to other substacks and back again. I found that really confusing and just
put my openstack stuff in a button that I could push when the stack first
opened.

So if you are using glx framework then you solve it with
glxapp_initializeApplication
-- I don't know any other way to solve that confusing problem but I hope
someone will put in the trick (maybe you check to see if the stack is among
the lines of the open stack and exit or something like that).