Where to store data under Windows

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Sat Nov 7 06:12:26 EST 2009

I know this topic has been talked about before.... where to store Rev
stacks that will be frequently (and automatically) updated when running
under Windosw.  As a result, I've followed the general guidance of
storing these stacks in the Documents folder. This seems to avoid any
problems with the Windows "virtual folders" issue. I haven't actually
tested this under Windows 7, but I assume it is still a valid and safe
place.

However, I'm running into a new issue. My program stores video files in
this same location, as these videos are tightly integrated into the
program. I wouldn't mind storing the videos elsewhere if there is a
better location, provided Windows will not interfere with any deleting
or modifying of the video data. The issue I have is that my users could
easily be storing several GB's of video data... perhaps too much for
their default C drive (where the Documents folder is). Right now, my
program uses the specialfolderpath("documents") command to initially
determine where to store the Rev stacks and videos. I wouldn't want to
offer the user the option to choose a different location for the Rev
stacks, as they could easily choose a location that is effected by the
virtualization issue.

My current thinking:

1. Keep storing the Rev stacks in Documents folder on the C drive, so
these files don't take up much room.

2. Give the user the option to select where to put the video files...
ASSUMING that no matter where they choose, Windows won't interfere with
adding, deleting and modifying these files. I'm not sure that this
assumption is correct. If it is not, where should I restrict them to
placing these videos? Is it a good assumption that if they choose any
location NOT on their C drive, Windows won't interfere?

Thanks.
Richard Miller