On-Rev / Off-Rev

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat May 30 03:33:38 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Richmond Mathewson
<richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am beginning to wonder if there should not be a second Use-List for
> those people who use the On-Rev service, so that those off us who
> don't, don't have our in-boxes flooded by messages that are not all
> that relevant to what we are doing.

Hi Richmond,

There has already been quite a lot of discussion about this point, so
I will quote you the "official" RunRev response:

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Bill Marriott <wjm at wjm.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have a forum set up for users of on-Rev at forums.on-rev.com -- this is
> the ideal spot for the latest news/announcements, discussing on-Rev,
> technical issues with it, usage concerns, etc.
>
> For example, information about accessing sites placed at the root level of
> your hierarchy (that I just reposted here) was originally posted to the
> on-Rev forums on Apr 24.
>
> However, we have no problem with folks discussing on-Rev here. The use-rev
> list is very simply for "using Revolution." And we consider our product to
> be the language, not merely the desktop IDE. The on-Rev service is obviously
> a Revolution-based product. Just because it's a subscription service doesn't
> matter; people obviously discuss Enteprise-specific issues, even though not
> everyone owns Enterprise. So consider discussions about on-Rev officially
> on-topic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill Marriott
> runrev marketing guy

Revolution has always had such a broad array of capabilities that,
inevitably, there will be threads that are of no interest to lots of
people reading the list. Personally, there are threads that I merely
skim, or ignore completely, but I know that if/when I need to use a
particular feature, it is very likely that there will be some info in
the list archives, even if I ignored it at the time.

If people prefer, maybe we could all put [On-Rev] in the subjects of
On-Rev emails, so that they can be easily filtered out by those not
wanting to learn about that particular aspect of Revolution yet.

Cheers,
Sarah