crash on a single machine

Tiemo Hollmann TB toolbook at kestner.de
Thu May 28 09:39:52 EDT 2009

Hello,

My new App has a read only valentina db. My App runs fine on some hundreds
of Win machines and also some Macs

There are no updates, no inserts to the db in my app, just plain selects.
The db resides inside the app bundle on the Mac.

Now I have a customer (not verified perhaps two), where my app crashes
immediately (and reproduceble), when doing any select on the db without any
error message, it just quits. After the crash, the app can't be started
anymore, even a restart of the Mac doesn't changes anything. At any attempt
to start the app the user gets the error message "the app was quit
unexpectedly". The user has to deinstall the app and reinstall it to be able
to start the app again. But with the first click on any button, where a
select is send to the db, the app crashes again and is unusable anymore. The
crash log tells something about problems with the db index (has Ruslan
already analyzed). I am not using a separate index file.

The Mac is a MacBook with 10.4.11 and 1 GB of memory, so it should be enough
of RAM. There is no other (admin) user profile, it is a single user machine,
so all rights are available. "Everything else" is running fine on this
machine, so it can't be a corrupted memory modul. I gave all permission for
everyone to the app and inherited it to all files of the app and at least my
app runs fine on "all" other Macs (at least not this crash).

I know, that this is very hard to track down and is obviously valentina
related and it must be something on the end user machine, but perhaps
anybody has encountered something similar and has any idea where else to
look for, I have no ideas left. Btw. the valentina list either had no ideas.

I am not the Mac expert. Could it be a worth to look for an update of the OS
X, without switching completely to 10.5? I have never looked, can you
select, which updates you want to load on a Mac?

Thanks for any hint

Tiemo