Property problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 27 18:31:00 EDT 2009

DunbarX at aol.com wrote:
> Sheesh.
>
> I was half correct. If you set, at least once, the textsize, textStyle or
> textFont of a new button either via script or via the property inspector, all
> is well. It is only with buttons that have never had any of these three
> properties manhandled where the properties are empty. Setting just one of the
> three fixes all three.

Right. If you haven't specifically set a property, it's inherited from
its owner (or another higher up the chain.) A button that has no font
settings will show empty for those properties. If you only want to know
the inherited properties, then use the "effective" keyword:

  put the effective textfont of btn id 1006

That gives you the info without having to specifically set the font of
each button.

What I don't understand is why you got a value when asking by button
name. The properties should be empty no matter what type of object
reference you use.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com