[OT] Opinions about On-Rev

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 22 20:39:52 EDT 2009

Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Thanks for this Bill. I just have one more question:
> I have troz.on-rev.com and when I FTP to the root folder, I see
> various folders: public_html, public_ftp, mail etc.
> My on-rev test web site files are all in the public_html folder.
> So if I want to transfer my troz.net domain, is it all contained in a
> sub-folder inside the public_html folder, or does it get a root folder
> of it's own?
>
> Maybe the best thing would be to swap around so that all the troz.net
> files where in public_html and I had a sub-domain, say
> tests.troz.on-rev.com, which was in a sub-folder.

When you choose an add-on or a subdomain, cpanel will put it where it
needs to go. This is usually inside the public_html folder of your main
on-rev domain.

I suspect there is little difference between a subdomain and an add-on,
and that cpanel only uses the different terminology to configure the
server so it knows where requests are to be sent. I'd just leave the
folders where they are created by cpanel and let the auto-configuration
work its magic. As you mentioned, it's pretty easy to move the html
files from one folder to another if you need to.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com