Reducing image file sizes

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue May 19 21:52:40 EDT 2009

Alex Tweedly wrote:

> I basically agree with the other comments - i.e. that you are stepping
> into a minefield here, and should think very hard about whether you
> should do so.

Yeah, it was a dumb idea and I'm glad I brought it up here. We've
decided to just recompress the jpgs (which are usually completely
uncompressed to start with). Even a modest compression seems to save
megabytes of space. I'll try a few images to see what the best level is.
Other than that, we won't change anything.

> Back to the original question ....
>
> I think the info you need is (generally at least) in the jpg file
> (Google for "EXIF data").  A while ago I wrote a library to extract the
> EXIF data from jpeg / tiff files.

Oh dear, I forgot all about your library! Sounds like exactly the thing.
Thanks very much for the nudge.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com