Reducing image file sizes

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue May 19 17:39:15 EDT 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Yeah. I can tinker with it. The main thing is to know what the size it
> is supposed to be when printed. That's where I'm stuck.
>
>> You said that you need to find the original size -- does Rev not open
>> high resolution images at the correct size?
>
> Not really. If the image isn't scaled or put into a locked image
> object, the image opens at its native pixel-count size, disregarding
> resolution. So if the image is thousands of pixels wide, Rev uses
> thousands of pixels to display it. A 2-inch image saved at 72 dpi will
> open at half the display size of a 2-inch image saved at 144 dpi. All
> Rev gives you is the pixel count.

I basically agree with the other comments - i.e. that you are stepping
into a minefield here, and should think very hard about whether you
should do so.   And if you must, think about throwing up a warning
message (like "The image uses a very large amont of disk space. Here is
the recommended reduced version. lease verify that it retains enough
quality for your purposes" and display the resampled / reduced /
compressed ... etc. image).

Back to the original question ....

I think the info you need is (generally at least) in the jpg file
(Google for "EXIF data").  A while ago I wrote a library to extract the
EXIF data from jpeg / tiff files. You can find it on Revonline (for
pre-3.5 - I haven't got anything uploaded onto the new revonline yet).,
under username alextweedly, and called libEXIF - comes packaged with a
very simple test stack to ask for a jpg file and print out the exif
info.  Sample output is as follows; you want the XResolution,
YResolution  and ResolutionUnit values ....

Good luck
-- Alex.