Reducing image file sizes

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:29:41 EDT 2009

Jacques, why not retain the original images as created by the clients
put cut them up on entry to the application and save them as binary
data e.g. in a sqlite database.  When an image is required to be
displayed re-assemble it from the binary data and display it.  If it
needs to be displayed in a different size then do the transform after
it's been reassembled.

If the 650mb issue is to do with backups to cd, then they need to
change their backup method.

Until computer use requires the equivalent of a driving licence, I
think it is a tall order to try to train all the users/customers in
the vagaries of file sizes.  Most people I know don't know the
difference between a byte and a gigabyte.  At least in the days of
floppy disks, people had an idea of how many files of a particular
type could fit on a floppy disk, so they had some relative conception
of file size.

Bernard