Reducing image file sizes

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Mon May 18 23:34:40 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:26 AM, J. Landman Gay
<jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> The software works fine, it's the customers that are the problem. :) They
> are taking digital photos that weigh in at 3-4 megs apiece, and scanning
> documents even larger, and creating hundreds of images. My client gets
> complaints that the software prints too slowly, and that all the data won't
> fit on a CD.
>
> So we decided to reduce their images for them behind their backs.

I think you are playing with fire here. I can see that all that's going to
happen is that your client will end up with more complaints about perfectly
good photos not displaying correctly and scanned images that were readable
are no longer legible!

I appreciate that I'm computer literate so scanning at appropriate settings
is easy for me, but surely you must appreciate that two separate documents,
exact same dimensions, one may have 18 point font on it and the other 9
point. If your software, in the background, reduced the resolution on the 9
point document to something similar to the 18 point, I'd be furious!

As unappealing as it may be, I think you already know where the problem
lies, the customer.

What about a warning dialog that comes up anytime the customer tries to
import an image over a certain size. Could it have a link to your clients
web site where they could have a list of software that can reduce image size
and a short tutorial on how to do it.

What about a warning dialog when the entire data set gets to 650MB,
indicating that they are about to exceed the size of a CD and unless steps
are taken to reduce file size, back-up will need to be done to a DVD or
external HD. Again with links to your clients website with tutorials on how
to save size, the pros and cons of backing up to CD, DVD or external HD, and
how to do each.

Basically, leave it to the customer to decide what the acceptable resolution
is, and that once they save enough of them it's their problem to move to a
larger back up format.

Again, I can see what you are attempting to do will only result in current
customers who are completely happy, know exactly why they are photographing
the Harry Winston with the SuperFine setting on their 6 megapixel camera,
and scanning their Title Deeds at 300 dpi, and wisely backup to a 80GB HD
because it's more durable than a CD; will be joining the complaints cue
because their photo looks like it's of some costume jewellery and the scans
apear to be of some nondescript newspaper article. And if you think the
current customers are unhappy, just think how pleasant this lot will be when
their on the phone, their house has burnt down, they've just been to their
Insurance Co and they've said, sorry, doesn't look like a Harry Winston to
us!

Sorry, just my thoughts.