Reducing image file sizes

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon May 18 19:39:14 EDT 2009

If you're up for the programming headaches involved, one way to deal
with very large images is to cut them up into tiles. For example,
cutting each image into 4 tiles can saving them in JPEG format can be
considerably smaller than the original image. I believe the
effectiveness would depend on your content, and of course will only
work in a compressed format like JPEG where each tile has a chance to
be optimized by the compression algorithm separately. You could
potentially load the tiles into a group of image objects and then
manipulate the whole group at once.

If this is going on a CD, can you not literally use Graphic Converter?
I believe it is scriptable. If you cut the resolution in half (which
will double the dimensions), THEN scale to 50% you should end up with
the original image size with half the resolution.

One last thought, you could attempt to use imageData -- skip every
other pixel to get "half" resolution and see how the quality turns out.

Hope that helps...