On-Rev Signup

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:53:36 EDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Rick Harrison
<harrison at all-auctions.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,

Not a guy, but having my say anyway :-)

> So, I take it that the On-Rev servers are located in the UK?

As Jim said, they are in the US. I know the RunRev servers have been
hosted in the US for ages, so I presume that was where they were able
to get the best service/price.

> What about the delay going from the U.S. and back?
> What's the latency?

Hah! Try being in Australia before complaining about latency!!!

> I run my own servers already, and I'd like to put together
> my own Rev Server too.  Should I wait for version 4.0
> of Rev to do this so that the bugs are out of the system,
> and there are good instructions available?

At the moment, the On-Rev server stuff is only available through
On-Rev and you cannot install it on your own server. There has been
talk that they may make it available for download in some form and at
some price later.

This has nothing to do with Rev 4.0 - it just allows you to do
server-side scripting in Revolution instead of PHP or Perl or
whatever....

Rev 4.0 is going to introduce the web plugin. This is a different
approach to On-Rev as it will provide a plugin that people can
download to their computers which will allow them to access stacks via
a web browser. On-Rev does not use stacks, but allow you to embed Rev
scripts into a web page directly.

Here are a series of screen casts that should explain in more detail
about On-Rev:
<http://www.screencast.com/users/Runtime_Revolution/folders/On-Rev/>
The final one also shows a glimpse of the web plugin at work.

Cheers,
Sarah