ODBC - Can use file DSN in Rev?

Scott Pepperdine spepper at byu.net
Mon May 18 14:13:06 EDT 2009

Bernard,  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what a fileDSN is, but I don't
believe so.  A DSN is a collection of connection parms used to connect
to an ODBC compliant data source.  A System DSN and User DSN store that
information in the Windows Registry.  A file DSN stores that information
in a file, *.dsn.  That should be the only difference between
System/User DSNs and a File DSN.  But I have not been able to make this
work with Revolution.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the forum posting I
referenced in my original post.  He is trying to access an ODBC
compliant database.  The fact that it is MS Access in that case is
irrelevant.  He was trying to connect to it using "revOpenDatabase", not
as a "local file".  In his subsequent thread he is using a system DSN to
connect to MS Access.  Again, since he is using a system DSN, he is
connecting using ODBC to a database server.  The fact that he is using a
UNC path must be how you specify the path to Access (I'm ignorant of MS
Access, and hope to stay that way).  But he was originally trying to
connect to an ODBC database using a fileDSN in Revolution and had to
give it up.  I may have to do the same.

I do not see why putting the connection parms in a file instead of in
the registry should be a distinctly unusual way to use ODBC.  It is
simply a method to make the app self-contained and easier to distribute.

Thanks for the response,
--Scott