LibURL Puzzlement

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Wed May 13 09:44:37 EDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 12 May 2009, at 22:04, Tereza Snyder wrote:
>
>> I tried:
>>
>>    get libUrlFtpCommand( pCmd, the uServer of me, the uUser of me,
>> the uPasswd of me )
>>
>> where pCmd is "LIST" or "NLIST" or "NLST" or "LS" and all yield
>> error messages.
>
> I know you got an answer to how to get a directory listing. But just
> for information, libUrlFtpCommand only handles commands that use the
> ftp "command socket". While LIST and NLIST are initially sent over
> the command socket, to complete they require an additional "data
> socket" that handles the actual transfer of data. That in turn
> requires some further commands to be sent, as well as opening a data
> socket to read from. It quickly gets very messy. Best to use a
> simple "get url" for this.

Thanks Dave -

I did look at the libURL scripts for guidance and decided to quickly
and discretely to close it again. Yow! that's heavy-duty scripting!

Is there a website/example stack/discussion thread where I can get up
to speed with ftp concepts presented in a way that jibes with the Rev
context? My current project will be ftp-intensive. I've gotten into
the habit of blithely saying, "Oh yes, Runtime Revolution can do
that... and that... and that..." without admitting that I personally
have never done any of it. Now I have to  perform and I find myself
groping in the dark. Though I probably don't have to know anything
about "command sockets" and "data sockets" to use libURL (that's what
it's encapsulating, yes?), I'm just not comfortable unless I know
what's really going on under the hood.

Tereza Snyder
Califex Software, Inc.
<www.califexsoftware.com>