Sending Email with attachment

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 12 16:23:31 EDT 2009

Sorry to reply out of thread --  can't seem find the start of it in Nabble.
Anyway, I am finding that sending email with attachments from the shell is
more complicated than thought.  Quite a bit more.

You can use mail, which involves first uuencoding it, then piping it
through to mail.  Tried this, but it didn't seem to work, don't know why.

Then you might think, why not pipe it through to an email client.  Not so
fast!  You can, and you can evoke kmail with appropriate options from the
command line, however what you can't apparently do is send the mail
without user intervention.  Well, maybe there is a way if you can figure
out how to drive kmail through DCOP..  Dunno.

So finally, the approved solution, which I have yet to make work, is to use
nail or mailx (one is a 'heritage' version of the other).  Then to use
this you apparently need an smtp mail agent, I'm trying msmtp.  So far no
luck!

There is an agent called putmail.  In fact there are a whole bunch of the
things here

http://wiki.mutt.org/?LightSMTPagents

And I will get one of them working one of these days.  But, but, if someone
were to just add mail with attachment to Rev, what an enormous favor they
would be doing us all!

By the way, fcron is the approved scheduler for when your system will not
be on 24/7.  Better, apparently, than anacron.  Dunno, didn't get to do
manual send yet, let alone unattended scheduled,  but we will see.

Peter