Why Rev needs a cookbook (newb questions)

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sun May 10 10:12:58 EDT 2009

Apart from your obvious fixation on spaghetti  :)

The only problem about these types of recipe books is that it is
well-nigh impossible to guess
all the recipes that will be required: after all, if it were, there
would be no original programs
or ideas within programs.

While answers to questions such as "how to I clear a field of data?' may
be straightforward, and,
almost everybody is going to ask that question sooner rather than later,
questions such as

How to I download pictures, music and film clips from seven different
websites, arrange them
across a number of cards, embedding some of the imported data in fields
according to type,
and export selected parts into a variety of image formats?

Are rather more difficult to foresee, and may not always be capable of
being broken down into
lesser questions demanding less elaborate and specific answers.

All of us have come across books with titles such as "Moron's guide to
Spaghetti", and, apart from
the fact that the title's sound rather insulting, they do tend to

"talk down"

provide a 2-dimensional view of things

which may be all well and good if all you want to do is belt out endless
plates of spaghetti-cheese
and spaghetti-with-some-indefinable-unidentifiable-brown-sludgy-sauce;
but misses one of the
main points about cooking (and, oddly enough, computer programming); the
creative possibility
that makes all the difference between the type of people who used to
dish up some 'orrible filth
they passed-off as 'Four Seasons Spaghetti' at my school, and REAL cooks
who make you rush
back for more.

Surely, one of the joys of cooking is the possibility for endless
experimentation.

Aah . . . wait a minute . . . I seem to remember one Dr Alex Comfort . .
. who wrote a book . . .
about . . .

Hey!  "The Joy of Runtime Revolution" complete with line illustrations
of all sorts of interesting
object layouts.