Preferred Multi-Platform Development Method

David Beck david_beck at ministerschedulerpro.com
Fri May 8 17:31:58 EDT 2009

We are just starting to play around with building stacks for the Mac. We
have concentrated exclusively on Windows in the past since that is where
the majority of our user base is. However, I have had many requests for
a Mac version of the volunteer scheduling software we produce.

I can't believe how easy it looks like it will be to migrate to Mac. I
tried it the other day and everything just works! It is incredible.
Working with Rev just keeps getting better and better!

My only question is where to store the preferences that we are storing
in the Windows Registry. We do have a mechanism to store preferences,
but there are certain preferences that are system wide, and should not
change based on the user of the computer (e.g. the install path of a
standalone application, etc.). Any advice on where to store these global
system-wide preferences on the Mac?

Richard, I understand you are using a stackfile for preferences. How
exactly do you implement this? That is, what calls do you use to get and
set preferences in the stackfile? Does the folder you mentioned
(specialApplicationFolder("preferences")) change based on the current
user or is it system wide? Also, are there any permissions issues to be
careful about?

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance!

--
David Beck
Rotunda Software