Another newb question - How to you clear a field?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri May 8 15:13:43 EDT 2009

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>>  if literal
>> names are not quoted, the engine takes twice as long to execute the
>> statement because of the additional lookup.
>
> Jacque, is this really true?

I confess I made up the "twice as long" part, I don't really have any
hard numbers on the increase. But as I understand it, it takes longer.
Though with Rev being as fast as it is, the delay is probably not very
noticeable most of the time.

On a tangent, another thing that takes longer is the omission of "the"
when refering to properties; again, just because the engine has to do a
second level of interpretation. You see a lot of this:

  set cursor to none
  set name of field 1 to "whatever"

Not a good habit, though the engine has no problem with it. I believe it
also takes slightly longer to use abbreviations ("fld", "cd", etc)
because that also requires a second-level lookup, but I for one refuse
to give those up.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com