App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 8 13:58:48 EDT 2009

Mark, don't know if this qualifies, but I did the following in Debian Lenny
AMD64  running Gnome - reasonably up to date.

Downloaded SVGL from revonline.  I thought it would be nice to have a stack
we can all play with.  The stack script appears to have over 1,000 lines.  I
scrolled and it moves up and down just fine.  Just for the hell of it I put
a random comment in, and compiled.  Almost instant.  Went into browse mode
and had it draw the picture of the tiger.  A one or two second delay and
there it is.

My machine is a Sempron, not dual core, not even very fast, socket 754.

I am sure that on Puppy it would be even faster, but this is plenty fast
enough, I doubt you'd notice any difference.

Can you put a script on revonline that has the effects you mention?  It gets
weirder and weirder, this.

Peter