"set the externals" question

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Thu May 7 21:06:38 EDT 2009

Hi Richard,

I use a loadExternals handler in the preopenstack handler of my app that
looks like this (hmm, now that I look at it I'm not sure if the go stack bit
is necessary) and seems to work reliably (I think this approach was
originally suggested by Trevor).

ON loadExternals
    put the short name of this stack into tStack
    put <<pathToExternals>> into pExternals
    IF there is not a stack "myExternals" THEN
        reset templatestack
        set destroywindow of templatestack to true
        set destroystack of templatestack to true
        set visible of templatestack to false
        set externals of templatestack to pExternals
        create stack "myExternals"
        reset templatestack
    END IF
    go stack "myExternals"
    start using stack "myExternals"
    set the defaultstack to tStack
END loadExternals

HTH,

Terry...

On 8/05/09 10:38 AM, "Richard Miller" <wow at together.net> wrote:

> Jim, Thierry:
>
> I did my additional testing with this. For whatever reason, the process
> works fine on XP but not Vista. Identical code on both units. One works;
> one doesn't. Any thoughts?
>
> I have a standalone... that opens an initial stack... which in turn
> opens an invisible substack (which remains open). In that substack, the
> preopenstack handler uses "set the externals of this stack to
> revvideograbber.dll". The initial stack (not the standalone... which is
> only the startup engine for this program) contains the main navigation
> menu. The user then navigates from this initial stack to the video
> recording stack, which when it first opens, has a preopenstack handler
> containing "start using" (the invisible stack).
>
> Thanks.
> Richard
>

> Richard Miller wrote:
>> Thanks Jim and Thierry,
>>
>> Seems to be working. I've got a bit more testing to do, but so far, so
>> good.
>>
>> Richard
>>

>> Jim Bufalini wrote:
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> Have one stack that sets the externals. Then *start using* that stack
>>> from
>>> anywhere (the preOpenStack of your standalone is fine). This makes