App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu May 7 13:23:58 EDT 2009

OK, I was able to test under Mandriva Live One 2009 running KDE 4.04, and
the performance was a little better, but still *very* slow.

For example, in Stykz you can click on a "node" (or handle) to one of the
segments of a stick figure to pivot it around the point on the other side of
the segment. If I mouseDown on the node, and then drag upwards, Windows and
OS X follow immediately. Under Ubuntu 8.04 it took a good 5 seconds before
the line segment started moving; Mandriva took about 3 seconds. But that is
still way too slow for any user to use, and other than the redrawing of the
line, everything else was done in code with no additional display elements
or anything else going on.

I'm going to try and get a higher end machine to test on and see how much
the hardward mitigates the problem, and I'll report back.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/