App on Linux - really slow... any ideas why?

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed May 6 05:07:46 EDT 2009

You may well be right that X11 is the problem.  In one test I did
using stacks as tables, a console-based Rev app on Linux was 100x
faster than using relational databases, even when the relational
databases were configured to keep all their tables in memory.

However, I suspect the same kinds of speed difference would be found
comparing PHP hash tables with relational databases (the performance
of the Prevayler model is not so surprising in these circumstances).

The problem for Rev is that there are many languages that can be used
to provide console-based services.

But like it or not, X11 is going to be the basic GUI that Rev has to
work with on Linux.  The interesting question is what has happened to
the programming of the Rev GUI since RunRev took over development from
Metacard.  I was not a MC user, but since MC was primarily aimed at
Unix GUIs, I cannot believe that the same kinds of problems were
experienced by unix users.

Bernard