Video for Windows

Richard Miller wow at together.net
Tue May 5 06:20:49 EDT 2009

Someone here's just got to have some thoughts on this one. Here's what I
know, all of which can be readily seen from the Video Capture stack that
comes with any copy of Rev (in the Resources --> Sample Projects folder).

Plug a camcorder or webcam into a PC and set the program to VFW (Video
for Windows).
Press Start Preview
Press Video Compression

Now at this point, the selection of any compressor IS saved somewhere,
because if you select a compressor and hit OK, then hit Start Recording,
that newly-selected compressor IS used during the recording of the next
video. Further, if you open Video Source, make a change, then go back to
Video Compression, the change from before is still intact. But if you
quit the program and reopen it, the changes are gone. So the change IS
being stored somewhere (a variable?... a Windows setting?) for the time
during a given session AND passed to some place where Start Recording
can then access it. Any thoughts on where it is stored and how to make
it available to future recording sessions? What is it that Start
Recording (under VFW) is tapping into as the settings to be used in the
next recording?

Thanks.
Richard Miller