OT: What to use on a PIII in Bulgaria?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon May 4 07:37:06 EDT 2009

I have just 'redone' my PIIIs with Ubuntu 8.04; from what I can
see they seem no slower than 5.10 --- we shall see over the next few
weeks; the reason I did this was to play .SWF files. Certainly for
my RR programs they are OK; otherwise we shall have to wait and see.

However, I foresee a "dirty weekend" where I spend a lot of time
sending them back to 5.10 . . .  If the price of playing .SWF files
is that Open Office grinds to a shuddering halt, then it's not worth
it: especially as my G3 iMac at the front of the classroom is very
happy with the .SWF files.

Logical Choices are all well and good, but one has to deal with
children who cannot function unless the GUI looks remarkably like
Windows XP.