Re-3: libeay32.dll error with standalone

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Mon Mar 30 08:20:46 EDT 2009

Hi Matthias,

> i got a reply from Runrev  concerning my problem with libeay32.dll .
>
> I have to include libeay32.dll in my standalone folder to avoid that
> the standalone looks in Windows or along the path for that file.
>
> It seems that the standalones generally look for some files at startup
> in the standalone folder and in the folders defined in the path,
> regardless they are needed by the standalone or not. Like the
> libeay32.dll in my case.
>
> In my specific case, my standalone found a version of the libeay32.dll
> which was especially for 64bit Windows and so the error message came
> up.
> Copying the libeay32.dll from the Revolution folder to my standalone
> folder solved the problem. Therefore the customer has to download 900kb
> more, but that is okay for him. But others, who have not such a high
> bandwith might have problems with that.
>
> The question is, why does the standalone look for DLLs, which are not
> needed by it?

There are actually two libs: libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll. These are used
by the encrypt and decrypt commands and are actually third party libs, which
are part of Open SSL for Windows and are installed by a number of Windows
apps other than ones built with Revolution. Also, this encryption is only
available in Revolution Enterprise.

I believe, if you A. Remove SSL & Encryption from your Standalone
Application Settings or, B. Build your standalone with Studio, Revolution
will not look for these libs.

Also, you should be aware that Revolution looks for these libs in very
specific places, which if you try to get creative and put them in other
places, can cause encrypt and decrypt commands to create critical errors.
Or, Rev could find a copy of these (installed by another application and who
knows what version) in your Windows\System32 directory.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini