Only supported on some platforms . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 05:37:22 EDT 2009

Richard Gaskin wrote:

"Yes, there will be many advantages when Linux takes over the universe of
computing.  With a single OS, software designers will never need to
worry about forked code."

presumably sarcastically. I hope so:

I am not a great fan of Windows, and I don't really like the way
Macintosh is tied to one type of computer;

BUT, a world where there is only one type of operating system would
be horrible as everything would stagnate.

A few unpalatable facts for the Linux fans:

1. Almost everything about Linux has been developed as either a
   'copy' of the capabilities of things one can do with commercial
   operating systems or software, or as a way of doing those things
   better.

   Or; to rephrase: You would have no Linux without Microsoft, Apple,
   IBM and RISC.

2. Linux puts pressure on the commercial giants just as much as the
   other way round; leading to what might be called a "leap-frog"
   effect.

This is essential to continued improvement in computer software, just
as much as similar competition in any other sphere.

Now I know I have got a bit hot under the collar about "cross-platform";
but I am very glad there are various platforms out there.

All those anti-competitive law-suits against Microsoft exist because
silly Microsoft (and if they sat and thought about it for a few minutes
they would see just how silly there approach was) have been trying to
exclude from the market just the sort of competition that will keep them
on their toes.

Whether it is Microsoft, Apple, Linux, or some new player that takes over
"the world", if and when that happens I will chuck out all my computers
and dig out Mum's old typewriter.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.