suddenly not working -- Rev cgi plus mysql on webhost (DreamHost)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 23 19:21:00 EDT 2009

Nicolas Cueto wrote:
> One more possibility. The old server was 32bit,
> the new, 64bit. Could that be a problem for the Rev
> engine? Geez I hope not!

Probably not.  The only reported issue on the desktop with 64-bit OS is
a scripting error that checked the version using an old format.  Haven't
heard of any other issues, none with the engine itself.

> The engine version now in my cgi folder is (I think)
> 2.6.  And yesterday I uploaded the "Standalone"
> engine (?) that comes with my Rev 2.9 (in the
> Runtime > Linux > x86-32 folder), but not even
> my test-cgi script worked with that.
>
> (In the meantime I've contacted the WebHost --
> a not very helpful first-reply. Their suggestion?
> That I re-compile. Recompile what?!
>
> Does any other RevUser with a Dreamhost
> account know of someone there who's familiar
> with Rev?)

Dreamhost is my favorite Rev-friendly host.  I also have Rev CGIs
running on Bluehost and TierraNet, but I do most of my work on my
Dreamhost accounts.

I don't have a direct contact at DH, but their office isn't far from me
so I could visit in person if needed. :)

Just curious:  Why did they make the change in the first place?  Did
they indicate whether they'd be doing this to other servers, or were you
just lucky?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World