[even more OT] Talking Heads

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Mar 23 15:05:35 EDT 2009

 > Lynn Fredricks wrote:
>
> "I think we are agreed that the Patent system is on the Road
> to Nowhere :-)"

I was refering to a title of a Talking Heads song :-)

> Um:
>
> 1. Copyright?
>
> 2. Open Source?
>
> 3. Co-existence between several models.
>
> And, in the case of software, where does a patent end and
> copyright start?

The differences between what should be patented, copyrighted or trademarked
is reasonably well documented, though often creatively applied.

> Consider a small problem:

> A while ago I wrote a message to one of the high-ups at
> Ubuntu offering to let them have FREE linux versions of a
> couple of programs I made about
> 6 years ago about Phonetics using RR.
>
> They were refused on the grounds that, while I was entitled
> to distribute standalones free, they were built using
> proprietary software.
>
> Personally I thought they were being a bit silly.

Ubuntu or Canonical?

It could be that it could come down to only bundling stuff that is under a
particular license.

Richard Gaskin's comments:

> To some purists, even Rev projects released under the LGPL
> will never been perceived as "true" open source projects
> because they require a proprietary engine to run.  This of
> course overlooks that even if the Rev engine were open source
> it would still require the larger "proprietary engine": the OS itself.

The is the "love the idea, hate the church" problem I find so frustrating
with the open source world.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President