suddenly not working -- Rev cgi plus mysql on webhost (DreamHost)

Nicolas Cueto niconiko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:10:21 EDT 2009

Hello List,

As the subject line says, a working-perfectly setup of
Rev-based cgi-scripts which connect to mysql databases,
all hosted by my web-host (DreamHost), suddenly ain't
so perfect.

One very likely reason is my web-host only last
week moved my account to a new server. They
had emailed me both before and after the move,
and I am including here one seemingly relevant
portion common to both those messages:

"If a website isn't working, please make sure you don't have anything
like "/home/.SOMETHING/username" in any of your sites scripts.
Instead, it should just be "/home/username"."

So, though not a "website" per se, with my vague
understanding in tow, here's the part of my Rev-cgi
script's that I thought required changes:

OLD  WAY -->
revSetDatabaseDriverPath "/home/USERID/USERID.com/myRevcgiFolder"

NEW WAY -->
revSetDatabaseDriverPath "/home/USERID/myRevcgiFolder"
put revOpenDatabase("mysql","revsql.USERID.com","SQL name","SQL
ID","SQL password") into connid
  if connid is not a number then
   put "Error: Could not open connection to database" && connid into buffer

Of course, neither the old nor the new path works, with the connid variable
returning "invalid database type" -- in which case, maybe the problem is
not path-related?

One last potential clue. In the same "myRevcgiFolder" as my mysql-based
scripts, I have a rev-cgi script that returns all the environment (?) globals.
There are many, but here are the ones that appear relevant:

$SCRIPT_NAME = /myRevcgiFolder/revGlobals.cgi
$REQUEST_URI = /myRevcgiFolder/revGlobals.cgi
$SCRIPT_FILENAME = /home/USERID/USERID.com/myRevcgiFolder/revGlobals.cgi
$SERVER_ADMIN = webmaster at USERID.com
$DOCUMENT_ROOT = /home/USERID/USERID.com
$SERVER_NAME = USERID.com
$SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) PHP/4.4.9 mod_ssl/2.2.11
OpenSSL/0.9.8c mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2
$SERVER_SIGNATURE =
$HTTP_CONNECTION = keep-alive
$HTTP_HOST = USERID.com
$SCRIPT_URI = http://USERID.com/myRevcgiFolder/revGlobals.cgi
$SCRIPT_URL = /myRevcgiFolder/revGlobals.cgi
$PATH = /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
$0 = revGlobals.cgi

Keeping my fingers crossed that this'll be easy
to resolve...

Thank you as always.

--
Nicolas Cueto