Creating htpasswd compatible passwords

runrev260805 at m-r-d.de runrev260805 at m-r-d.de
Sun Mar 22 06:08:00 EDT 2009

Hi Marty,

i was looking also for a solution some time ago. As far as i know, Revolution cannot create such passwords on without "external" help. Please anyone correct me, if i am wrong.

For a customer i created an app, which helps him to create and protect folders. The complete app creates/modifies/deletes the .htacess and the .htpasswd files for him.

This is how i solved the password creation:

1. I created  a php-file with the following content e.g:
______________
<?php
// set password
echo "Password created";
echo"<br>" ;
echo crypt($pass , 'sa');
//you can replaces ´sa´ with whatever 2 characters you want

?>
_____________________________

This php file was put on the customers webserver.

2. the following lines call the php-script and passes the "real" text-password to the php, which then returns 2 lines. In the second line there is the encrypted password. To be sure, that the php was executed correctly, i check for "Password created" in line 1.

____________________________

put URL ("http://www.revolutionatwork.com/passwordcreate.php?pass=" & sPassword) into sOutput
if line 1 of sOutput is "Password created"
then
put line 2 of sOutput into sEncryptedPassword

My customer uses this for several months now without problems.

The other way would be (at least under Windows) to use the shell() function to run the htpasswd.exe from the windows version of the appache server to create the password.

But my solution should run as a cgi also. I am not very familiar with rev as cgi right now, so anyone may correct me, if i am wrong.

You may use the above link to the php for testing purposes.

Regards,

Matthias