Unix support past 2.5.1?

Scott Pepperdine spepper at byu.net
Fri Mar 20 20:41:09 EDT 2009

I don't mind a bit.  There are, IMO, some business processes which
belong on a server.

1.    Communicating with business partners with EDI documents flying
back and forth at all hours.
2.   Data access.  I don't want to administer data access at the DB
level, and I can't just use one user ID/password for multiple users to
access the information without going to jail (HIPAA).  By getting data
access at the server application level I can fulfill my auditing
requirements, and also, once I create an account for an institution to
access their own data, they can then administer who in their
organization can get at the data without my involvement.
3.   Providing services to other processes.  [Checking if a an insurance
claim meets requirements (formatting, all data elements, sum of these
lines matches this line, Gender of patient matches medical procedures
performed, etc.) as an example.]
4.   I'm sure many more, but just business rules belong in one place.
UI takes care of presentation, server takes care of business rules, data
access, etc.

I really enjoy Revolution.  My observation, whether correct or not, is
that it is very will suited for desktop applications and client/server
apps (2 tier).  I have not seen evidence that it is used much for N-tier
(more than 2 tiers) applications.  I'm betting that it will work well in
that arena as well, basically betting my job on that.

Good luck with your article.  Hope this helps.

--Scott