Default Email Client on Windows?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Thu Mar 19 12:14:08 EDT 2009

Hi Scott,

There are a lot of MAPI entries and in different versions of Windows and for
different mail clients. Probably the quick and dirty way to accomplish what
you want would be to go to: *HKEY_Classes_Root\mailto\shell\open\command*
because this will tell you, when there is a mailto, what client Windows will
execute.

The only problem you could have here is if it is set to the default mail
client that comes with windows and the person never used it but uses
Internet email instead. On the other hand, if it's Outlook or something
other than the default, you can assume it is being used. Even the default
could be being used. But in any case this will tell you what the default is.
;-)

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini