HC Music that should be on Runtime Revolution

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 17:03:12 EDT 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:

"It is. If QuickTime is not installed on Windows, Rev uses WMP instead.
On Linux it uses mplayer. Mac of course requires QT but that's not an issue."

Recent court cases against Microsoft seem to suggest that that company
may be forced to sell versions of it Operating system without WMP
rolled in as this is deemed anti-competitive.

I wonder if something similar my yet happen with Apple and Quicktime.

My old Pentium II that trots along merrily on 32 MB RAM and Damn Small
Linux doesn't have mplayer  . . . I am currently using it for my
13 year-old to work on his Bulgarian literature for his High School
entrance exams - using a CD I authored using RR a couple of years back:
it is a good thing that it is largely extremely boring text :)

Runtime Revolution is cross-platform insofar as it can lever components
that are often present on target platforms; it is not 'platforn neutral'
in that it still depends on those components being there, when they are
not a given.

There are other postings just now that would seem to suggest RR is
reducing exactly how cross-platform it is, as support for UNIX and
others seems to have been left behind.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.