[OFF TOPIC] How many...

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 15:06:46 EDT 2009

Don't know whether to be amused, amazed, impressed, appalled or embarrassed!
I almost never have more than three or four apps open at once, and then
almost always each one on separate virtual desktops.  This is on a 19 inch
screen.

I usually have Firefox permanently open on one desktop and then move to
others when not using it. Sometimes multiple instances of Firefox on
different desktops.  But everything else loads so fast it doesn't seem worth
the clutter to keep more open than are really needed.  They all start from
the bottom menu bar in Gnome or a right click and pick in Fluxbox.

If writing I use OpenOffice if its small, or Lyx if its large and
structured, or sometimes a text editor - either Kate, or more often lately
Geany, if it is going to have to be submitted as html.  Quite often a
terminal which does lots of useful stuff, but I don't feel the need to have
it open all the time unless writing bits of awk.  Rev usually on its own or
with Geany, because until the last revision and the improved editor, I
preferred writing in Geany.  Geany is very nice - Windows version too, if
you have not tried it.

Perhaps it depends if you have the luxury of just picking one thing and
doing it to the exclusion of almost everything else? Probably many of you
don't.  Or maybe it has to do with hating having apps and documents stacked
up one behind the other.  I simply cannot stand this. If it were possible,
I'd use three desktops for the different bits of the Rev IDE to avoid this.
Well, you can, but only with Fluxbox, not with Gnome. As it is I have six
virtual desktops and they are often all filled with documents which keeps
things under control and not one behind the other. In Gnome its easy to add
a few more desktops on the fly if the need arises. If I have to do editing
of images as part of a project, then I open up Gimp or whatever, get it done
on a separate desktop, and then close the app.

If using Gnome, Nautilus is very slow on well filled folders, and I often
use xfe, which opens instantly and is very fast.  PCManFM is also a nice
file manager.

How interesting it is to find how very differently other people work, and
how different their ideas of usability are.  OSNews some time ago invited
people to submit screenshots of their desktops, and they were all strikingly
different.  I guess one size does not fit all.