[OFF TOPIC] How many...

viktoras d. viktoras at ekoinf.net
Tue Mar 17 13:24:40 EDT 2009

On Windows XP, AcerTravelmate 2300, recently installed more RAM (2GB),
works like lightning now ;-). Two monitors (both 15'', 1024x768), 1 high
speed firewire hard drive (for videorecording), 2 more external drives
(one for backups).  Among relevant processes Apache 2, MySQL, antivirus
(Avira) and firewall, Skype.

Apps usually loaded simultaneously: Revolution, Firefox (browser),
Thunderbird (email),  PSPad (editor), MySQL query browser, MySQL client,
SQLite3, SQLite Spy, Open Office Write, Open Office Calc, shell (cmd),
MicrografX (image tools), Irfan View.

Apps/tools loaded occasionally: putty, FileZilla, R-GUI, Perl, OllyDbg,
Windows Movie Maker, other software development tools (Perl, R, Free
Pascal, High Level Assembly (HLA) ), GIS: Idrisi, Manifold...

Turns out, oh my... ~18 apps... I have never counted them before :-).
Well, it has to - it is my main workstation.

On MacOSX (MacBook): 1 monitor, Keynote, Revolution, Skype, Safari,
Neooffice (calc and write). Usually it is connected to a multimedia
projector for kids (movies, movies) - so videoplayer and VLC player are
the most frequently used programs.

On Linux (Ubuntu), shell (Perl and many other GUI-less things in there),
gEdit, Revolution, Apache 2, MySQL, Firefox, Open Office Calc, Open
Office Write, GRASS GIS...

Viktoras