applescript - repeat if exists document x

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 18:13:12 EDT 2009

rOr you could do one of these

----------------------  A ONE LINER

tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3" to return (the number of
documents)

---------------------- A FEW LINER
tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3"
	set the docAsItemList to every document
	--now we have a Applescript list of all the docs
	set docItemCnt to the number of items in docAsItemList
	return docItemCnt
end tell

----------------------  DEMO OF LOOP TYPES and LISTS
--simple repeat loop at the end to return data to Rev that is a bit
easier to parse
tell application "Adobe Photoshop CS3"
	set the docsAsItemList to every document
	--now we have a Applescript list of all the docs
	set docItemCnt to the number of items in docsAsItemList

	set nameslistViaWithEach to {}
	repeat with thisDocItem in docsAsItemList
		copy the name of thisDocItem to end of nameslistViaWithEach
	end repeat

	--or--------------
	set namesListViaWithX to {}
	repeat with x from 1 to number of items in the docsAsItemList
		copy the name of item x of docsAsItemList to end of namesListViaWithX
	end repeat

end tell
set output to docItemCnt

repeat with echItm in docsAsItemList
	set output to output & return & the name of echItm as string
end repeat
--of course this repeat could be done with either of the 3 lists we
have defined and gathered
--docsAsItemList, nameslistViaWithEach, namesListViaWithX

return output -- this is formatted without quotes except char 1 and
char -1

Jim Ault
Las Vegas