My BBC Master - - - getting Beeped-off.

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 10 06:55:22 EDT 2009

In the middle of the night I awoke with "beep" in my head;

and so looked up:

beepPitch

getting all excited as I did so . . .

popped this into a button:

on mouseUp
set the beepPitch to 220
beep
set the beepPitch to 440
beep
end mouseUp

I don't know what the value of 'beep' is at all as heard no beeps!

this is also pretty fatuous:

"The beepPitch has no effect and does not report a meaningful value on Mac OS or Windows systems, and on some Unix systems which don't allow changing the beep pitch."

as is this:

"The beepDuration has no effect on Mac OS or Windows systems, and on some Unix systems which don't allow changing the beep length."

which we can paraphrase as;

"beeps can only be mucked around with on one or two extremely obscure
operating systems, so we are not really sure why we mentioned 'beep' at all."

this was the thing that really took the biscuit:

"Overuse of the beep command has been known to cause user stress."

in fact, I am still picking the crumbs from between my teeth :)

A real pity really, as that would have meant I could start composing
crappy computer music with RunRev rather than BBC BASIC.

About 23-4 years ago, in Scotland, I used to listen to a programme on
the wireless by a "Hank Wangford" called "In Search of the Lonesome
Yodel"; feeling like that now!

Hey, wait a minute:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Wangford

http://www.hankwangford.com/hanks_page.html

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson.

A Thorn in the flesh is better than a failed Systems Development Life Cycle.