[OT] Another hole in the Ozone layer

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Mar 6 11:31:11 EST 2009

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> As I am like the vast majority of people; terribly pompous, but
> ultimately hypocritical about energy saving, I went to the
> address provided by K C Lan:
>
> http://www.apple.com/macmini/
>
> downloaded the Energy Lightbulb image,
>
> resized it in Preview,
>
> and opened the EnergySaver.icns file
> inside the Energy Saver Pref Pane package with
> Icon Composer (comes with the developer tools)
> and swapped the images round.

Apparently the CFL icon is available (built-in; that is, without The
Richmond Method <g>) only on the new energy-efficient MacBooks:
<http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/10/21/new-unibody-macbooks-get-new-cfl-but-not-quicktime-x/>

CFLs are great.  For a while their manufacturing process involved a lot
of mercury so disposal was not as friendly as their energy savings, but
more modern ones are cleaner in design and still deliver great savings.

I installed my first CFL more than 15 years ago.  I just replaced it
only last year.  It cost only three times as much as an incandescent
bulb (that was back then; the price differential is much lower now), but
saved me from buying a dozen incandescent bulds during the same period,
and also saved me energy costs in excess of its purchase price many
times over on top of that.

Green is also the color of money. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin